Friday, March 16, 2007

An Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living

Okay so I think I'm ready to share a bit about myself now. I can't seem to come up with any one catchy phrase to title my little autobiography. I guess, like most people, I'm many things to many people depending on how they've come into my life. Wife, mum, student, sister, chef (stretching the imagination), chauffeur, accountant blah, blah, blah.

So here are a few facts:
I am an Australian-American born in Germany and married to a New Zealander for six years now. We have two small boys, Aiden is nearly 4 and Ryan is 2 and a half, who have changed our lives in ways we never could have imagined. We live on a couple of acres in Worongary in a house we built about three years ago. It's still a work in progress and probably will be for quite some time.

My decision to study for a bachelor of journalism has been a long time coming. No snap decisions here. About three years ago I took long service leave, then maternity leave and then resigned from my position as a medical receptionist at a radiology company here on the Gold Coast so that I could stay home with Aiden and Ryan. While the boys are still young they are past the baby stage and becoming a little more independant. With this in mind I made a "now or never" decision. I had always wanted to further my education through university. If I didn't at least attempt to get in I knew I would always regret it. Journalism is also something I've always wanted to do so it was the natural choice.

So does the fact that you're reading this make my life worth living? How ridiculous. What does Socrates know anyway?

No comments: