Saturday, March 24, 2007

Alphaville - John Wayne meets the Matrix?

Like La Jetee, its a black and white French movie with subtitles. I have found the movie a little difficult to follow but I suppose that's part of its charm. I had a hard time coming to terms with it and I think its because I'm so used to the Hollywood style of movie where things are generally laid out for you. I recently read an article and I can't remember exactly where it came from but there was a quote I found interesting. "The entertainer gives the audience what it wants. The artist gives the audience what it didn't know it wanted." Guess I haven't seen enough art-house movies. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but parts of Alphaville reminded me of The Matrix. There's the idea that a computer could have so much control over people's lives. Also, the whole way through the Matrix I expected to discover someone was controlling the computer. Completely missed the point of that one.

Alphaville does have some interesting characters though which, intentionally or not, made the film a bit less intense by adding some humour. The main character, Lemmy Caution, is a dark and brooding and rather aggressive 1960's French detective who reminded me of a John Wayne character. Or maybe John Wayne's character is the cowboy version of this French detective. Not sure which came first. I also liked the two scientists, Eckell and Jekyll, or something along those lines. The barcodes on the back of their necks made me laugh. It reminded me of our student numbers. Maybe they're preparing us for the day they tattoo them on our skin.
Unfortunately we ran out of time so if anyone knows how it ends please let me know.
I've posted ideas about this movie on the discussion board if anyone wants to have a look.

No comments: