Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Global Citizenship

More rambling thoughts inspired by my textbook readings:

As a dual citizen of the United States and Australia I often feel torn between my allegience to either country. Amid the tension and turmoil that is racism throughout the United States there is one thing that seems to bind American people together - patriotism. The pride that goes with being an American citizen. The intensity of it is matched in only a few countries around the world. So as a US citizen I have that pride, like or lump it. Unfortunately, during the Bush administration that pride fits more in the lump it category. It is difficult for many to separate Americanism from the often menacing global policies of its government. For this reason I am occassionally inclined to be silent for fear of being pigeon-holed as a result of my accent. Unfortunately, Australia doesn't offer a very robust option in the way of patriotism.

I've decided rather than choosing Australian or American patriotism I prefer the idea of global patriotism. Sound like a greenie? Not really - its certainly not my intention. While I am interested in preserving and protecting our earth what I'm talking about goes beyong conservation. Its a very naive and idealistic approach to patriotism. Global citizenship - respecting and appreciating different cultures, ideas and religions without the need to change, erradicate or possess them. Not a new concept but one that I like and one that I hope I can pass on to my children (along with a healthy Earth of course).

No comments: